Last fall, 69Beats took home his second consecutive Red Bull 3Style Poland championship. Shortly after, he headed to the Amsterdam Dance Event to play a set for Pioneer DJ’s DJsounds show.
69Beats delivered a dynamic performance, dropping his signature tone play and finger drumming techniques using Pioneer DJ’s DDJ-XP1. His energetic 53-minute set included genres like future funk, trap, twerk, and more.
69Beats also gave a quick interview in which he discussed why he switched to rekordbox, his plans for 2018, and how he chose his name.
In February, he will compete on his home turf in the Red Bull 3Style World Finals VIII in Kraków.
Watch him on DJsounds above.
The UK native’s set featured a variety of genres, including hip-hop, trap, electro swing, funk-influenced tracks, and more. He performed with two limited gold PLX-1000-N turntables and a DJM-S9-N mixer.
In 2011, Switch became the first DJ to perform on the BBC Proms, an annual classical music festival held at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
Watch him above on DJsounds.
Pete Tong at Blue Marlin Ibiza. (Photo credit: Alex Caballero)
In 2016, Avicii surprised the dance community when he retired from touring at the age of 26 due to health concerns. Now, more DJs have shared their struggles in a new documentary from Pioneer DJ’s DJsounds.
Why We DJ – Slaves To The Rhythm explores what drives DJs to put themselves through rigorous schedules and the toll it has on their health.
“I’m addicted to the feeling of connecting with a crowd and controlling the vibe,” says legendary DJ Erick Morillo.
The New York City native’s sentiments are echoed in the documentary by renowned house DJs like Pete Tong, Carl Cox, Seth Troxler, and Ben Pearce.
With their addiction to performing comes consequences, however. The side effects include deprivation, loneliness, drug and alcohol abuse, and pressure from fans and management.
“I was deeply unhappy,” Pearce says. “I was drinking every day and basically chugging my life down the drain. And I think it got to the point that I knew that if I didn’t do something about it, I wouldn’t be around much longer.”
Tong adds: “It’s a very hard job to get any sympathy for because everyone has this image in their heads of private jets and spraying champagne. But the touring life of a DJ is really hard.”
The documentary was premiered on Wednesday during the Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE) in association with Help Musicians UK and the Association for Electronic Music. Both groups are dedicated to helping musicians with mental health issues.
Watch it below.
ESKEI83 performs in the Netherlands on Jan. 29, 2016. (photo credit: Henny van Roomen)
ESKEI83, the 2014 Red Bull Thre3style World Champion, has been featured on Pioneer DJ’s DJsounds show.
The German’s set, which was recorded in London last summer, featured 50 minutes of bass music and world-class turntablism. It included unreleased material and releases from his label, Crispy Crust Records.
During the interview, ESKEI spoke about how Pioneer’s DJM-S9 mixer helped him simplify and improve his game. He also discussed what it’s like playing at festivals as a turntablist and the advantages it gives him over other types of DJs.
Watch the full set and interview below.
1. Mr. Carmack – Death
2. Psychic Pressure – Geysa
3. Dirty Audio & Rickyxsan – Gettin’ That
4. Tropkillaz – Booty To The Bass
5. ESKEI83 & Johnny Osbourne – Kill A Sound
6. M.I.A. – Double Bubble Trouble
7. Jimmy Pé – Hudson River
8. Dead Prez – It’s Bigger Than Hip-Hop – Acapella
9. Gladiator & QUIX – Chilly Bin
10. Busta Rhymes – Gimme Some More – Live Evil Remix
11. Take Dat – The Shots
12. Bingo Players, Zombie Nation, Jeff Doubleu, TrapHau5, & ETC!ETC! – Rattle The Kernkraft 400 – Vortex Bootleg
13. Kendrick Lamar – M.A.A.D. City – Eprom Remix
14. Skepta ft. JME – That’s Not Me – Dirty Remix
15. Mura Masa – Lotus Eater
16. Craze & Skratch Bastid – Worldwide
17. ESKEI83 – Get Down
18. Skrillex & Rick Ross – Purple Lamborghini
19. Yo Majesty – Club Action Smookie Illson Bootleg
20. Loco Dice ft. Just Blaze – Sending This One Out – Frizzo Remix
21. Mobb Deep – Survival Of The Fittest – Acapella
22. Drunken Masters & Karol Tip – Calories
23. Donkong & Karol Tip – Brilliant
24. Hermitude – Vibration
25. Skepta ft. Young Lord – It Ain’t Safe
26. DJ Cable – I’m A G
27. ESKEI83 & Snelle Jelle – Step Into The Ring
28. Just Blaze & Baauer – Higher
29. DJ Khaled ft. T-Pain, Ludacris, Rick Ross, & Snoop Dogg – All I Do Is Win
30. Skrillex & Diplo ft. G-Dragon & CL – Dirty Vibe – DJ Snake & Aazar Remix
31. Flosstradamus ft. Casino – Mosh Pit – Acapella
32. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit – Play-N-Skillz Trap Remix – ESKEI83 Edit
33. Drunken Masters & Tropkillaz – All Day
34. Major Lazer & Grandtheft – Number One
35. Johnny Osbourne & ESKEI83 & Symbiz – Buddy Bye – ESKEI83 Dubplate
36. ESKEI83 ft. Bunji Garlin – Fire
37. Dan Gerous – Life Of The Party – ESKEI83 Remix
38. Flosstradamus & TroyBoi – Soundclash
39. The Turntablist – Break This
40. Ben Esser – Love You More – Rafik Remix
41. ESKEI83 & Drunken Masters & Gunjah – Rave
42. Wave Racer – Streamers
Updated on Dec 11. 2016.
This article was written by Hugo Pacheco.
Chuckie’s last set for Pioneer’s “DJsounds” show has received a million YouTube views since being uploaded two years ago. That, coupled with the Dutchman’s talent and legendary status, was reason enough for Pioneer to invite him back for a second mix last week. Chuckie put down an hour of house and tech house this time around and even got busy with a little scratching near the end (around 49 minutes in). Watch the interview and full set above.
Related: Listen to ChildsPlay & Chuckie’s ‘Bruk Out’
2013 World Online DMC Champion Jon1st is back again with another impressive routine. This time, the English turntablist puts Pioneer’s PLX-1000 turntables, along with the DJM-900 mixer and DDJ-SP1 sub-controller, through the paces over a futuristic instrumental.
Stay tuned for a new episode of DJcityTV’s “Cutting Room” featuring Jon1st and other top UK turntablists.
Related: Jon1st Live Remixes DJ Vadim’s ‘If Life Was a Thing’
Halloween is upon us, and DJcity’s Remix Director Sir Marcus has put together a list of tracks for your spooky DJ sets. The collection includes exclusive b...
Numark's Mixstream Pro all-in-one device is the first piece of non-Denon DJ hardware to support the embedded Engine OS operating system. Available for a su...
Halloween is upon us, and DJcity’s Remix Director Sir Marcus has put together a list of tracks for your spooky live stream sets. The collection includes ex...
New tracks that DJs should know about.
Sak Noel's record label Barnaton has released Vol. 2 of its sample pack. "I believe this new Barnaton Pack is the best one yet," says Sak Noel. "We took no...
Here at DJcity, we always strive to provide our customers with great value and the highest quality of content. We are proud to announce our new Global Musi...
DJcity's New York representative Matsu has thrown down a heavy, hard, and bass-laden mix for the DJcity Podcast. In addition to being Beatsource's New York...
Halloween is around the corner, and DJcity’s Music Director Kidd Spin has put together a list of tracks for this year’s parties. The collection includes ex...
UK-based DJ/producer Andy Jarvis returns with a tech house remix of Florence and The Machine's 2009 hit, "You've Got The Love." The track was initially rel...
Singapore's Casey, a veteran DJ from Singapore has put down a half-hour mix for the DJcity Podcast. Her set features mostly hip-hop and dance tracks. Casey...