DJ Lazyboy performing at the Churchward Pub in Alameda, California. (Source: Instagram)
Red Bull 3Style‘s current US National Champion, DJ Lazyboy, has dropped a Black Lives Matter influenced DJ mix on Shade 45‘s “Sway In The Morning.” His powerful half-hour tribute features funk, hip-hop, Motown, R&B, soul, and more.
The Bay Area DJ shared the inspiration behind the mix:
“I put a lot of soul, tears, sweat, and hours into this project because it had to be done right. Parts still make me tear up even after hearing it hundreds of times. I get so caught up in life, health, trying to figure out my own sh*t, that I often forget the challenges many others face that I will never truly know or feel. I learned about Tulsa, Rosewood, systemic racism, along with so many other names of people who lost their lives. I’m not gonna front. I’m off in my own bubble a lot of the time and didn’t know (and probably still don’t) about a lot of the horrific bullsh*t that is happening to people just because of the color of their skin. I am embarrassed and ashamed that there are people that live among us today that feel this hatred for other human beings that never did anything to them. I hope that this can make a drastic shift and I want to make more of an effort to vote and push out the people in office who don’t care for everyone equally. There needs to be a change.”
Stream DJ Lazyboy’s Black Lives Matter tribute below.
Chris Villa performs at the Cobra Arcade Bar in Phoenix on Friday, July 13. (Source: Facebook)
Fresh off dropping a mix for the DJcity Podcast, Chris Villa stopped by Shade 45’s Sway in the Morning on Friday in New York City to perform a live set. The DJcity Arizona rep threw down a turntablist-friendly half-hour mix consisting of mostly throwback hip-hop and R&B.
Listen to it below.
1. Snoop Dogg ft. The Dramatics & Tha Dogg Pound – Doggy Dogg World
2. Big Pun ft. Fat Joe – Big Pun – Twinz (Deep Cover ’98)
3. A Tribe Called Quest – Scenario
4. Q-Tip – Vivrant Thing
5. JAY-Z ft. Pharrell – Excuse Me Miss
6. Jermaine Dupri ft. JAY-Z – Money Ain’t a Thang
7. N.O.R.E. – Nothin’
8. Kanye West ft. T-Pain – Good Life
9. Yung Joc – It’s Goin’ Down
10. Camp Lo – Luchini – This Is it
11. The Diplomats ft. Cam’ron & Jim Jones – I Really Mean It
12. Cam’ron ft. Juelz Santana – Oh Boy
13. Luniz ft. Michael Marshall – I Got 5 On It
14. Rick James – Mary Jane
15. The Gap Band – Outstanding
16. Aaliyah – Back & Forth
17. Soul for Real – Candy Rain
18. Paula Abdul – Straight Up
19. J. Cole – Work Out
20. Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg – Nuthin’ but a G Thang
21. Gang Starr – Full Clip
22. Gang Starr – Mass Appeal
23. M.O.P. – Ante Up (Robbin-Hoodz Theory)
24. Pharoahe Monch – Simon Says
25. A$AP Ferg – Work
26. Kendrick Lamar ft. Jay Rock – Money Trees
27. Do or Die – Po Pimp
28. Crucial Conflict – Hay
29. Three 6 Mafia – Poppin’ My Collar
30. UGK ft. Outkast – International Players Anthem (I Choose You)
31. UGK ft. Outkast – International Players Anthem (I Choose You) – eSenTRIK Remix
32. 50 Cent – What Up Gangsta
DJ KA5 performs on Shade 45’s Sway in the Morning in New York City on July 24, 2018. (Source: DJ KA5)
DJcity’s Miami representative DJ KA5 put down a throwback-heavy hip-hop set on Shade 45’s Sway in the Morning in New York City on Tuesday. His 40-minute mix featured clever word play transitions and a variety of classic party tracks, including several of his edits.
Listen to his set below.
1. Kanye West – RoboCop
2. Dr. Dre ft. Eminem – Forgot About Dre – DJ KA5 Acapella Out
3. Gary Glitter – Rock And Roll (Part 1 & 2) – DJ KA5 Edit
4. Marilyn Manson – The Beautiful People – DJ KA5 Black Skinhead Klutch Blend
5. Rae Sremmurd – Look Alive – Acap Intro
6. BlocBoy JB ft. Drake – Look Alive – DJ KA5 Edit
7. Lil Uzi Vert – XO TOUR Llif3 – DJ KA5 Edit
8. Drake – God’s Plan
9. Gucci Mane ft. Plies – Wasted – DJ KA5 Edit
10. The Offspring – Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) – DJ KA5 Edit
11. Plies ft. Ne-Yo – Bust It Baby Pt. 2 – DJ KA5 Edit
12. Tory Lanez – B.I.D – DJ KA5 Edit
13. Lil’ Wil – Bust It Open – DJ KA5 Edit
14. Big Tuck – Not a Stain on Me – DJ KA5 Edit
15. Ray Jr. ft. Ducky Smallz – Sloppy – DJ KA5 Edit
16. G-Eazy ft. A$AP Rocky, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly – No Limit Remix – DJ KA5 Edit
17. G-Eazy ft. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B – No Limit – Audio1 Make ‘Em Say Uhh! VIP Edit
18. Charli XCX – Boom Clap – Acap Intro
19. Young Jeezy ft. Mannie Fresh – And Then What – DJ KA5 Edit
20. JAY-Z – Izzo (H.O.V.A.) – CFLO Super Short Edit
21. Kanye West ft. Talib Kweli & Common – Get Em High – Nick Bike Acapella In/Out
22. Kanye West – Dark Fantasy – NASA Drop First Edit
23. Prodigy – Keep It Thoro – DJ KA5 Edit
24. Aloe Blacc – I Need a Dolla – DJ KA5 Edit
25. Christina Aguilera – Genie in a Bottle – DJ KA5 Acap Out
26. The Notorious B.I.G. & 50 Cent – The Realest Niggas – DJ KA5 Edit
27. Kid Ink ft. DeJ Loaf – Be Real – DJ KA5 Edit
28. Mary J. Blige ft. The Notorious B.I.G. – Real Love (Remix)
29. Cypress Hill – Dr. Greenthumb
30. Linkin Park – In The End – Acapella
31. Ameriie – 1 Thing – DJ KA5 Edit
32. Missy Elliott – Work It – DJ Rukus Acapella Out
33. Beastie Boys – Paul Revere – Audio1 Edit
34. Sir Mix-a-Lot – Posse On Broadway
35. Zapp & Roger ft. Shirley Murdock & Charlie Wilson – Computer Love
36. LL Cool J – I Need Love
37. Post Malone ft. 2 Chainz – Money Made Me Do It – FCZ It’s Strange Bootleg
38. Fugees – Fu-Gee-La – David Begun vs Brett B Bootleg
39. Beyoncé ft. JAY-Z – Drunk in Love – DJ Baysik Mas Tomate Edit
Los Angeles radio veteran DJ Rawn put down an eclectic hip-hop mix on Shade 45’s Sway in the Morning on Friday. His half-hour set contained a variety of major and independent tracks from across different eras.
Listen below, and tune in to Rawn’s Old School Hour show on SiriusXM’s Globalization channel weekdays at 9 a.m. PT.
1. Craig Mack ft. Puff Daddy – Making Moves With Puff
2. Dr. Dre ft. Kurupt, Hittman, & Ms. Roq – Let’s Get High – DJ Rawn Bounce Break
3. J Dilla ft. Common – E=MC2
4. Nas – One Love – Survival Of The Fittest Remix
5. Exile – Bom Bomb
6. N.W.A ft. MC Ren – If It Ain’t Ruff
7. The Jackson 5 – It’s Great To Be Here – Kenny Dope Remix
8. Dr. Octagon – Area 54
9. DJ Quik – Loked Out Hood
10. Incredible Bongo Band – Apache
11. Wu-Tang Clan – Da Mystery Of Chessboxin’ – Acap
12. Paris – The Devil Made Me Do It
13. Newcleus – Jam On It
14. Freestyle Fellowship – Hot Potato
15. Betty Ford Boys – Everyday
16. Planet Asia ft. Turbin – Shots At Your Highness
17. MED & Guilty Simpson – Ain’t Gotta Brag
18. Outkast – Elevators (Me & You) – Remix
19. Dr. Dre – A N#gga Witta Gun
20. Eminem – Just Don’t Give A F#ck – EP Version
21. DJ Shadow ft. Run The Jewels – Nobody Speak
22. E-40 – Do Ya Head Like This
EASE at Club 12zehn Weiden in Germany on Feb. 16, 2018. (Source: Facebook)
EASE, the 2017 Red Bull 3Style U.S. champion, dropped a guest mix on Shade 45’s Sway in the Morning show on Monday. The 46-minute set featured a variety of classic and current hip-hop, including tracks off EASE’s solo album, Kodax Kids. An award-winning turntablist, EASE also put his scratch skills on display.
During the convo, the Fool’s Gold boss explained that he created the Goldie Awards to push the art of DJing forward.
Scratching with current sounds:
“… I don’t want scratching to be an old school thing. I don’t want people to look at the way I DJ and be like ‘Oh you brought it back.’ To me, scratching always sounded futuristic. There’s subtle choices you can make as a DJ whether it be the sample that you actually scratch. We don’t have to still scratch on the ‘ahh’ and the ‘fresh’ from ‘change the beat’ and some James Brown shout. Music sounds more synthesized now so the samples that I scratch on, I’ve been choosing sounds that are more synthesized too.”
Adapting to modern DJ technology:
“A couple of years ago I started using the CDJs for those shows where maybe there’s strong winds and crazy vibrations or confetti being blasted on the stage. I remember just standing and thinking, ‘Why am I removing a confetti from the vinyl and the needle when I should just be performing for this crowd.’ And it just made me realize that I had to adapt to the evolution of equipment…”
Being creative and open-minded overall:
“I personally love turntables, and I hope turntables stay available to people for a very long time. But I also don’t want potentially, aspiring kids, people who want to become DJs, to think that they have to have a Technics 1200 to scratch. … Or even if it’s not literally scratching, [people should] learn how to come up with their own tricks. To me, it’s all about scratching and turntablism and just like the hip-hop approach to DJing that’s very subversive and taking equipment that was made to be used one way and using it another way. It’s always about that creativity and flipping what’s in front of you. … I wanna challenge the new generation to come up with new, original tricks on any kind of equipment because I don’t want [DJing] to be a legacy art form.”
Watch the full interview and mix below.
(Source: Pioneer DJ) Pioneer DJ has announced the DJM-S11 mixer, the successor to its game-changing DJM-S9. The two-channel, four-deck battle mixer bu...
Due to restrictions placed at music venues worldwide because of COVID-19, many clubs have been forced to practice social distancing by transforming the...
New tracks that DJs should know about.
Dubai-based turntablist/producer KIDY has delivered a high-energy club mix for the DJcity Podcast. His half-hour set includes hip-hop, reggaeton, and...
(Source: Stasi Sanlin) Dubai's Stasi Sanlin has dropped a bass-heavy club set for the DJcity Podcast. Her half-hour set includes dancehall, hip-hop, h...
Tomcio (left) and D'Maduro (right). (Sources: Tomcio and D'Maduro) Dutch DJ/producers D'Maduro and Tomcio have added a soulful moombahton flair to two...
Duck Sauce, the duo of A-Trak and Armand Van Helden, has delivered a one-of-a-kind new single and video. "Mesmerize" is another one of the duo's signat...
The global music community was heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic this year. With the nightlife scene essentially shut down, DJs turned to live...
Red Bull 3Style IX Japan finalist YB has delivered a tutorial for DJcityTV showcasing a unique scratch technique. The turntablist developed a way to sc...
(Source: Beatsource) The Beatsource LINK streaming service for open-format DJs can now be used with the industry-standard performance software, Serato...