The global music community was heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic this year. With the nightlife scene essentially shut down, DJs turned to live...
JAY-Z with Rap Radar hosts Brian Miller and Elliott Wilson. (Photo source: Rap Radar)
JAY-Z recently sat down for an extensive interview on the Rap Radar podcast, his first since he released his album 4:44 in June.
The 70-minute conversation, which is exclusive to TIDAL, covered a variety of topics. Among them were Hov’s inspiration for making 4:44, why he chose to only work with No I.D., his marketing strategy for rolling out the album, the reason he added footnotes, entrepreneurship and why he supports Lavar Ball, the meaning of “The Story Of O.J.,” the meaning of “Kill Jay Z,” and his feud with Kanye West.
The interview was conducted by hosts Elliott Wilson and Brian “B.Dot” Miller and is labeled part one. It is unclear how many episodes are forthcoming.
Listen to it below (even if you’re not a TIDAL subscriber).
Here is a breakdown of some of the topics covered in order:
– Making 4:44 and his inspiration for it
– Working with No I.D.
– Why he chose to use one producer for the entire album
– His marketing strategy for rolling out the album
– The reason he added footnotes
– The importance of 4:44
– How he recorded the vocals
– Why some songs didn’t make the album
– Empowering black people
– Billboard chart issues and TIDAL criticisms
– Entrepreneurship and why he supports Lavar Ball
– The meaning of “The Story Of O.J.” and its controversies
– His talks with Apple
– Therapy and spirituality
– The Meaning of “Kill Jay Z” and the Kanye West feud
– The elevator incident with Solange.
Related: Watch JAY-Z’s Video for ‘Kill Jay Z’