Kid Loses Finger at Rave but Keeps Partying

Usually when people get injured at a club they immediately seek medical assistance and call it a night. Such was not the case with “Josh” though — a dedicated music fan from the United Kingdom.

Last Saturday, the 16-year-old boy accidentally severed his left pinkie during a rave in South London. Independent news site VICE recently spoke with Josh about his experience at the party, which also drew a huge police presence and resulted in the death of a 15-year-old boy (authorities suspect it was an overdose).

So how’d it happen?

“Well, at about 1AM we were up in the house room, but I don’t really like house so I was waiting for the drum ‘n’ bass to kick in. As soon as I heard it, me and my mate went down there. Five minutes in, the fire alarm starting going off and everyone was like, ‘Rip it off! Rip it off!’ So I thought I’d give it a go. I was completely sober at the time. I jumped up, grabbed it and my little finger got caught in the case because it was all broken, and as I came to rip it back down, my little finger got ripped off completely.”

Josh didn’t rush out of the party though. In fact, he was so enthralled by the music that he stayed for a while until his friend dragged him out:

“I was in so much pain and shock that the first thing that hit my head was the beat and the bass. The bass was hard, so I just ripped off my top, wrapped it around my finger and tied it up as tight as I could and skanked it out for half an hour. My mentality was, ‘I’ve only been here for an hour, I’ve paid £10 for this night, I’ve lost my little finger — am I seriously going to go? Nah, I’m going to skank until I can’t skank any more.'”

Read Josh’s entire interview here.

Related: Man Falls Through Ceiling at DJ Snake Show